Lainey Bee's aftercare instructions
Everything you need to know on how to take care of your tattoo done by Lainey Bee.
Every tattooer has a different approach on how you should take care of your tattoo. The reason that there are so many different stories on what is best is because no tattoo is the same. Different styles and techniques need different instructions. If you have a tattoo done by Lainey Bee, this is her explanation to you.
Tattooing wounds the skin. If you take good care of the tattoo it will take about six weeks for the skin to heal.
The upper layer of your skin will seem to heal faster. This is called the epidermis (outermost layer of skin) will seem to be healed in about 3 weeks when there is no infections, scratches etc. But the second layer of skin, the layer where the tattoo ink will stay, also called the dermis, won’t heal as fast. In total the healing of the tattoo will take about 6 weeks. Keep in mind that the colors will still change a little up to 6 months.
Once the tattoo is finished, it is covered with a plastic cling film. You can remove this after 3 to 5 hours. After removing the film clean the tattoo as following:
- Wash the tattoo at least twice a day with mild unscented soap (Ohanaorganics shower gel is available in the studio). Start with cold water and let it slowly get warmer, lubricate it with the recommended shower gel and wash it well so that no soap remains on the tattoo. Then lower the temperature of the water and dry off.
- If you have a dusty workplace, animals in your house, people touching the tattoo by mistake or anything else that can get the tattoo infected and damaged please make sure you clean your tattoo as fast as possible. We offer sterilized cleaning towels, wipeoutz, for on the go at Flowinkstudio.
- Dry the tattoo gently with a clean towel or air dry after washing. Do not rub or scratch.
- Use a small amount of tattoo aftercare. (not more then a pea size for a full hand size tattoo) Ohana Organics tattoo butter is available at the studio.
- Do not cover the tattoo. The wound needs oxygen to heal. If you wear clothing over it, the best choice is cotton.
- The first nights the tattoo may still ‘bleed’ (wound fluid and blood plasma). This often happens with large tattoos. Make sure you wear clean cotton pajamas every night for the first week. If it is stuck to the tattoo in the morning, then softly submerge it in the shower.
- If the skin is swollen, drink plenty of water and keep the body part elevated when possible.
During the healing process:
ο Touch the tattoo as little as possible (first wash your hands before caring for the wound).
ο Do not scratch the tattoo wound.
ο Do not peel off any scabs that might form when healing, or you will remove ink out of the tattoo.
ο Do not cover the tattoo with tight or soiled clothing.
ο Do not cover the tattoo with bandages.
ο No (bubble) baths, swimming pools, saunas and steam baths for 6 weeks.
ο Do not expose the tattoo to sunlight or a sunbed (especially with color tattoos).
ο Do not rub the tattoo with petroleum jelly.
ο The tattooed skin remains very sensitive to sunlight after healing. Always treat your tattoo with a high SPF sun care product. Preferably a sun block with minimum spf 50.
ο If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me!
Note: Contact your doctor for extreme redness, swelling, bleeding, wound fluid, color change or chronic pain.