Lainey Bee's aftercare instructions
To help you prepare for your tattoo by Lainey Bee we explain here the way she works and all you need to know. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask using the contactform.
Tattooing wounds the skin. If you take care of the tattoo it will take about six weeks for the skin to heal.
Once the tattoo is finished, it is covered with a plastic cling film. You can remove this after 3 to 5 hours. After removing the film clean the tattoo as follows:
- Wash the tattoo twice a day with mild unscented soap (‘Tattoomed’ cleansing gel and ‘Yayo’ shower gel are available in the studio). Start with cold water and let it slowly get warmer, lubricate it with the recommended shower gel and wash it well so that no soap remains on the tattoo. Then lower the temperature of the water and dry off.
- Dry the tattoo gently with a clean towel after washing. Do not rub or scratch.
- Use a small amount of aftercare for example ‘Yayo’ or ‘Tattoomed’ (both are available in the studio). You can also use Bepanthen. Aftercare goes a long way.
- Do not cover the tattoo. The wound needs oxygen to heal. If you wear clothing over it, the best choice is cotton.
- The first nights the tattoo may still ‘bleed’ (wound fluid and blood plasma). This often happens with large tattoos. Make sure you wear clean cotton pajamas every night for the first week. If it is stuck to the tattoo in the morning, then softly submerge it in the shower.
- If the skin is swollen, drink plenty of water!
During the healing process:
- Touch the tattoo as little as possible (first wash your hands before caring for the wound).
- Do not scratch the tattoo wound or the scab that forms as you may remove the layer of skin.
- Do not cover the tattoo with tight or soiled clothing.
- Do not cover the tattoo with bandages.
- No (bubble) baths, avoid swimming pools, saunas and steam baths for at least 1 month.
- Do not expose the tattoo to sunlight or a sunbed (especially with colour tattoos).
- Do not rub the tattoo with petroleum jelly.
The tattooed skin remains very sensitive to sunlight after healing. Always treat your tattoo with a high SPF suncare product.
Note: Contact your doctor for extreme redness, swelling, bleeding, wound fluid, color change or chronic pain.